Pages

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Beauty on the New York State Thruway

My favorite road in New York is Route 73, which winds itself through the Keene Valley, but we don't get up there as much as I'd like.  Another favorite stretch of road of mine is actually on the New York State Thruway, which we drive quite frequently.  

It's more difficult to get excited about the Thruway, but every time we drive home from Syracuse, the view from this spot reminds me that landscapes can move you.  When you are driving east, just after you crest the hill near exit 29A, you can see for miles.  It feels like you can reach out your hand
(the way people fly their hands like airplanes out of car windows) across the valley and caress the landscape stretched out in front of you.  I'll admit there are more impressive stretches of road, out west especially, but this view reminds me that beauty can be where you least expect it as long as you keep your eyes open for it.





And, for good measure, here are some sort-of-relevant lyrics to a song I used to listen to a lot:

Driving in my dreams I'm on I-90 driving east
Driving the first nail into this corner of my life
But these goodbyes are a beast

(Taken from "Smell the Future" by Peter Mulvey)

No comments:

Post a Comment