Pages

Sunday, April 9, 2017

How to properly drill a pilot hole...

When I started making guitar pedals I learned a great trick that my Dad probably taught me, but I ignored. I would use a pen on masking tape to mark the exact spot I needed to drill into the metal box, but inevitably the drill bit would slip and the hole wouldn't be where I wanted it to be.

So here's the trick: put masking tape on the surface and mark your spot on the tape. (I use this masking tape trick when I put nails into Sheetrock too-- the tape holds the surface together so it doesn't crack or shatter.) Line up the drill bit where you want the hole. Then reverse the drill so that the bit just spins counterclockwise-- in other words, so that it doesn't bite or jump.) With enough RPMs this will create a small dimple in the metal or wood. Now the drill bit can sit in this dimple.  Engage the drill bit clockwise and drill the hole.

Oh, and when you drill into metal, be sure to put a dab of oil (motor oil works!) on the drill bit so that bit doesn't get too hot.

When making guitar pedals I use a titanium step bit. It allows you to make holes of an exact size for things like quarter inch jacks or 16 mm potentiometers.


No comments:

Post a Comment